Monday 19 December 2011

Frames Going In

Started on the frames yesterday. As mentioned earlier I have made F53.5 & F110 12mm just to make things bulletproof. It looks very solid so maybe it is a bit overkill. It is taking longer than I thought but I'm getting there. I got F110 stitched this evening. I will make a spacer for now between F110 & F124 to make sure the keel box will fit snugly.
Not sure how everybody else is measuring things up but I am setting up my stringline and measuring from the front of the stem to get the frame distances (I use a bit of electrical tape round the stringline to mark the spot). I lay a straight edge athwartships and measure from the bow left and right to get the perpendicular. I then use a plumbob to scribe the line on the floor for the frame position. Seems to be accurate so far.

Turns out it's F110 that sits on a panel joint not F169.5. I trimmed a little off the sides of the frame for fit and the outside of the hull looks fine with no obvious deformation apparent except for the very top. This may disappear once the shear clamp is attached but I may add some extra glass tape along the top, we'll see how things progress.
I'm hoping I haven't created a stress point which will come back to haunt me. On the plus side, the hull is looking pretty smooth as it curves back from the stem which is great.

Addition of backing plate at the top of the hull

No comments:

Post a Comment