Sunday 4 March 2012

Cockpit progress

Well obviously I haven't done a lot over the past month. I have gone back to school to freshen up my accounting skills so that is a major distraction as far as boat building is concerned. I have finished off the cockpit floor substructure and have at last started skinning the cockpit.

 I have the floor glued down. I am not building a monocoque style cockpit as other builders have. It seems more complicated for no real benefit. I am also having to figure out where I need to place the backing plates for the blocks and cleats. It is a little bit of guesswork but I am gluing in oversize plates to give me some room to adjust. I am also installing access hatches on the cockpit sidewalls near the stern and traveller which will allow for installation and replacement/repair.

Adding backing plates
The spinaker prod has arrived. Setting it all up will present a whole new set of challenges. I will have to move the boat out of the shed to make room.

1 comment:

  1. looking good john. have you finalised your ideas for the keel box?

    ReplyDelete